Monday, January 2, 2012

Anna's Asian Bistro & Sushi Bar Review

One day my pre-Thailand diet will be over and soon I will be able to eat more carbs than I currently intake from fruits and veggies. When that day comes, I'll be sure to come to Anna's and get her Laotian curry noodles! It is made with my favorite noodles in the world: kanom jeen. It's the same noodles I eat with my green curry.

Anyways, the lucky gf took a half day from work and met me for lunch in the city. Usually, I have my salad and other healthy stuff, but today I felt like taking her for Thai food. Funny thing though is we didn't really order much Thai today so I'll be covering Anna's sushi mostly.

Papaya salad: Awesome portions. Anna had this one made spicy and catered to the proper Thai spicy for me which I think is a bit spicier than what most people think is spicy here. . Usually, when it is made at home, I ask for my chili's where it's really, really spicy. When I can eat this with sticky rice again, I'll be sure to ask Anna for this to be extra spicy. This is one of the dishes where you actually specify the flavors when you order from Thailand.

Tom yum: Very good. I wasn't paying attention and ate a chili because again, Anna catered to the spice level I wanted and added fresh chili. Loved the heat especially with the chili I took in without noticing.

House salad with ginger sauce: Part of the lunch special and very good. Hard to find options that we can eat right now that gf and I like to eat. We both got the house salad and liked it a lot. There's nothing special about lettuce. Gf actually doesn't like salad and I would rather have other appetizers, but we liked the ginger dressing a lot. Usually, the ginger dressing is a bit watery which isn't so desirable, but this dressing was perfect.

Sashimi: Wow. When it came out, I said suay jong leay (hard to really make Thai into English words) which basically is like OMG, pretty. It came out in these plates that looked like a big shell and was presented very nicely. The fish itself was really, really fresh. Not sure what the one (just one) bad review was talking about for their experience, but I can honestly say this was good stuff.

My only negative isn't for Anna's restaurant, but the fact that I still haven't been able to have my beloved noodles yet! I'll be back again, when I rebuild some willpower to only order food I should eat!

813 W Lake St
(between Green St & Halsted St)
Chicago, IL 60607
Neighborhoods: Near West Side, West Loop
(312) 344-1090

No comments:

Post a Comment